Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another recipe from the web, which I found for our ZWT 7 - for Africa, which I have not tried. The addition of chopped peanuts to the spinach gives it a delightful crunchiness, the grated coconut is an unexpected flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 ounces butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup peanuts, finely chopped (or ground)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut, grated (optional)
- In a 2-quart saucepan add the butter and saute the onions and peanuts until lightly browned.
- Next add the chopped spinach and saute until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the salt and tabasco and serve with poached or scrambled eggs.
- Top with grated coconut if using.
This afforded me a chance to have a new method for preparing spinach. I did cut the peanuts by half. The Tabasco is a must. Made for Aussie Swap.
This is a real winner, BK! Loved the crunch from the peanuts in combination with the soft spinach! The flavours blend very nicely and the heat is just right. I think this would go great with many different types of meals and cant wait to try your suggestion of serving it with an egg. I had it plain this time and really liked that, too!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #55 August 2011.
Great side dish! Have made other African spinach and peanut recipes but this one is by far the best so far. Made as written right down to sauteing the peanuts and onions together. This is a keeper and will be enjoyed again. Thanks for the post.