Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The Six O'Clock Scramble
Top Review by Born2cook
Sorry this didn't work for me, we found it so bland that we threw away the leftovers which I never do. It was so bland, I noticed that the other reviewer commented as well, I should have added something to combat this problem.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce) container low fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 12 -14 uncooked manicotti
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw the spinach in the microwave; drain it thoroughly, squeeze out all the water.
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and a piece of foil large enough to cover it with nonstick spray.
- In a big skillet, heat the oil over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, and mushrooms; saute until they are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese and egg; stir in the thawed spinach and mushroom-onion mixture.
- Using your fingers, fill the uncooked manicotti noodles with the mixture.
- Place the noodles in a single layer in the baking dish; cover the noodles completely with any leftover cheese mixture and the tomato-basil sauce.
- Top them with the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese (at this point, you can refrigerate the uncooked casserole for up to 24 hours or bake it immediately).
- Bake the casserole, covered tightly with foil, for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil for the final 5 minutes of cooking.