1/1 Photo of Spinach Madeline
Mommy Diva's Note:
Originated at Green Springs Inn in St. Francisville, LA by Madeline Nevill, this dish has become a favorite nationwide. (From Tony's Seafood in Lousinana website). Need I say more? Yum. ;) Since the garlic cheese roll is hard to find in some areas (mine included) you could substitute Boursin, Alouette or Rondele as they make spreadable flavored fresh cheeses in garlic flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, cooked and drained (reserve 1/2 cup liquid)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped (medium size)
- 1 (6 ounce) garlic cheese rolls, cut into small pieces (this is cheese NOT BREAD)
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce (Louisiana Fish Fry brand or favorite)
- 1Melt butter, add onions and flour; stir until smooth.
- 2Add the milk and mix well.
- 3Add the rest of the seasonings and 1/2 of the cheese roll, and stir until cheese melts.
- 4Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs and remaining cheese in casserole dish.
- 5Top with the crumbs and cheese held aside and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- 6Serve along side fried chicken, salmon, pork chops, you name it and a generous helping of corn bread anything - ENJOY! ;).
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Madeline
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.9
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 273.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic cheese rolls