Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A slightly spicy creamed spinach that can be served as a side dish or a hot dip. I've even topped baked potatoes with it! From Little Rock Cooks.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water (from cooking spinach)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces jalapeno pepper cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Melt butter over low heat and add flour, stirring until blended and smooth but not brown.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add spinach liquid and milk slowly, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Add seasonings and cheese that has been shredded; Combine with cooked spinach.
- This can be served immediately or --.
- It is best to make a day ahead, put into a casserole and top with buttered bread crumbs, refrigerate overnight then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Serves 20 in a chafing dish as a hot dip.
- This may be frozen.
- Note: Original recipe calls for a roll of Kraft jalapeno cheese spread. You may use Mexican Velveeta for a creamier texutre or the jalapeno cheese of your choice.
Hello Candy C, found this on Emeril's web site and it looked so good that I wanted to post it but you beat me to it. We made just as posted except for the addition of crushed red pepper flakes and making it and then keeping it refrigerated overnight. That way the flavors could meld nicely and then rewarmed the next day. I love spinach and this is fantastic! Thanks for posting, Diane :=)