Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
An interesting way to serve spinach.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers or 2 tablespoons red peppers
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded,chopped
- Squeeze excess liquid from the spinach; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, cheese, bread crumbs, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the well-drained spinach; pat mixture into a greased 8x4x2" loaf pan.
- (At this point, loaf may be covered and refrigerated overnight, if desired).
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove from skillet, reserving 2T.
- pan drippings.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Cook the onion and peppers in the bacon drippings in the skillet for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the flour and dash pepper; gradually stir in the water.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in bacon and tomatoes; heat through.
- To serve, invert spinach loaf onto serving platter and cut into slices.
- Spoon bacon/tomato sauce over.