Recipe by Bec
Lots of veggies! From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988. The recipe states it is for 6 portions, but as a main dish I would see it serving 3 to 4.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups skinned and chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (16 ounce) can reduced-sodium whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package spinach linguine
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, deep skillet, heat oil.
- Add zucchini, onion, carrots and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, basil, salt and sugar.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in boiling water until al dente (about 8 to 10 minutes)- Drain.
- Add linguine and Parmesan cheese to tomato mixture.
- Toss until well coated.