8 hrs 15 mins
7 hrs 45 mins
In 'The Italian Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone. More like a thick potage, than soup--great comfort food
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- salt (2 t. for my taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (1 t. for my taste)
- 10 ounces spinach, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1In a slow cooker, combine the lentils, garlic, celery, carrots, and 6 cups water; add more water if needed, to cover the ingredients by 1/2 inch.
- 2Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- 3Add the rice, the remaining 1 cup water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- 5Stir in the spinach and cook for 15 minutes more.
- 6Ladle into bowls, drizzle with olive oil, and grind on some black pepper.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach, Lentil, and Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.6
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 14.0 g