Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'The Italian Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone. More like a thick potage, than soup--great comfort food
- 1 lb brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- salt (2 t. for my taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (1 t. for my taste)
- 10 ounces spinach, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- extra-virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a slow cooker, combine the lentils, garlic, celery, carrots, and 6 cups water; add more water if needed, to cover the ingredients by 1/2 inch.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the rice, the remaining 1 cup water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Ladle into bowls, drizzle with olive oil, and grind on some black pepper.