1/1 Photo of Spinach, Lemon and Lentil Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was shared with me by my one of my dearest friends. My husband & I have duplicated the recipe many times since our first tasting and it's received many great reviews! This recipe can be altered for a vegetarian's meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock (you can substitute vegetable stock here to make this dish vegetarian.)
- 8 cups water
- 350 g green lentils (these must be soaked for two hours before using them in the recipe, we've also used a mixture of RED)
- 500 g spinach, trimmed & chopped (English)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- lemon wedge (for garnish)
- sour cream (for garnish)
- 1Prepare your ingredients.
- 2Heat a large stock pot on Medium Heat; add the tablespoon of olive oil.
- 3When the oil is hot add the leeks and garlic to be sauteed.
- 4Saute them until the leeks are clear.
- 5Turn down the heat to low-- very low.
- 6Add the chicken stock and water to the pot. Add the potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and oregano. Let the soup simmer on low heat for about an hour or so (or until the potatoes are cooked to your liking).
- 7Add the lentils at this point; continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- 8Just before you are about to serve dinner, add in the spinach and lemon juice.
- 9The longer the spinach is in the soup, the more it will be wilted.
- 10It is best added to the soup minutes before you are about to serve it.
- 11Garnish the soup with a lemon wedge and a dollop of sour cream.
- 12**This soup could also easily be prepared in a crock pot!
- 13**This recipe also doubles well!
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach, Lemon and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.6
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 121.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: