Recipe by nancyal
This is from the new recipes from Moosewood Cookbook. I have not tried this, but am posting it to a request. I do not know how long to prepare, just guessed.
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated is preferred (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 2 cups of chopped onions
- 2 lbs spinach, rinsed, stemmed, and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated (5 oz)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (8 oz)
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauce: Heat the milk until very warm but do not bring to a boil.
- In another pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Do not let the butter brown.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the hot milk.
- Continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened.
- add the freshly grated nutmeg if using.
- Sauté the garlic and onions in the butter or oil until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the spinach and 1/2 cup of the parsley.
- Add a little water if the spinach is dry.
- Cook until the spinach wilts then remove it from the heat; set aside.
- Mix the remaining parsley, ricotta, eggs and 2/3 of the parmesan cheese together.
- You may cook the lasagna until al dente or don't cook them at all.
- Moosewood does not cook theirs, they just layer the raw noodles in the pan.
- Oil a large casserole or lasagna pan.
- Layer the ingredients as follows: 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sauce, 1/3 of the noodles, 1/2 of the spinach, all the mozzarella, 1 1/2 to 2 cups sauce, 1/3 of the noodles, all the ricotta mixture left, all of the spinach left, 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the sauce,the remaining noodles, the rest of the sauce, sprinkling the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover the casserole and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.