1 hr 15 mins
This is from the new recipes from Moosewood Cookbook. I have not tried this, but am posting it to a request. I do not know how long to prepare, just guessed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated is preferred (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 2 cups of chopped onions
- 2 lbs spinach, rinsed, stemmed, and chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated (5 oz)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (8 oz)
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 1Sauce: Heat the milk until very warm but do not bring to a boil.
- 2In another pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 3Do not let the butter brown.
- 4Whisk in flour and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5Gradually add the hot milk.
- 6Continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened.
- 7add the freshly grated nutmeg if using.
- 8Sauté the garlic and onions in the butter or oil until the onions are translucent.
- 9Stir in the spinach and 1/2 cup of the parsley.
- 10Add a little water if the spinach is dry.
- 11Cook until the spinach wilts then remove it from the heat; set aside.
- 12Mix the remaining parsley, ricotta, eggs and 2/3 of the parmesan cheese together.
- 13You may cook the lasagna until al dente or don't cook them at all.
- 14Moosewood does not cook theirs, they just layer the raw noodles in the pan.
- 15Oil a large casserole or lasagna pan.
- 16Layer the ingredients as follows: 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sauce, 1/3 of the noodles, 1/2 of the spinach, all the mozzarella, 1 1/2 to 2 cups sauce, 1/3 of the noodles, all the ricotta mixture left, all of the spinach left, 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the sauce,the remaining noodles, the rest of the sauce, sprinkling the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- 17Cover the casserole and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- 18Uncover the casserole and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- 19Remove the casserole from the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Lasagna Bechamel
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1339.0
- Calories from Fat 721
- Total Fat 80.1 g
- Saturated Fat 44.0 g
- Cholesterol 283.5 mg
- Sodium 1298.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 57.2 g