Recipe by sage, rosemary, and tyme
I have made this lasagna vegetarian too, just replace meat with your choice of chopped vegetables. Its a lot of steps but worth it!
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
Yum, wow this is so flavorful! I love the mixture of tomato and white sauce together - why not have it all? I used your suggestions to make it vegetarian and used fresh spinach on every layer (didn't even cook it first and it worked perfectly). Served with a salad for a healthy, hearty meal. Thanks for the post. Made for PAC 2011
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Directions See How It's Made
- For meat sauce, crumble ground beef into large skillet over medium high heat, brown and discard fat.
- Stir in mushrooms, onion and garlic, cook until onions are soft.
- Press tomatoes and juices through sieve into meat mixture, discard seeds.
- Stir in 3/4 teaspoons salt, oregano, basil and 1/8 teaspoons pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. uncover and simmer 15-20 minutes more until sauce thickens; set aside.
- Add lasagna noodles to lg. pot of salted boiling water 1 at a time, allowing noodles to soften to fit in pot.
- Cook 10 minutes or just until dente.
- Drain and rinse noodles with cold water. Hang individually over sides of pot to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- For cheese sauce, 1/2 cup butter in sauce pan, stir in flour, remaining salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook and stir until bubbly. Whisk in milk, cook and stir until sauce thickens and bubbles. Cook ans stir 1 minute more. Stir in 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan. Stir until smooth, set aside.
- Preheat oven 350°F Spread remaining butter on bottom and sides of 12x8-inch baking dish. Pat noodles dry.
- Arrange 3 noodles in single layer, overlapping slightly in bottom of dish.
- Top with 1/2 meat mixture, spread evenly, spread 1/2 cheese mixture over meat mixture evenly.
- Repeat layers once. Sprinkle spinach over last layer or cheese. Pat down slightly. Arrange last 3 lasagna noodles over spinach.
- Mix remaining cheeses together and sprinkle cheeses evenly on top of lasagna to cover completely.
- Bake 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and sides are bubbly.