Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My husbands favorite food. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe when we got married so that my husband wouldn't be without it. You can really put things in any order. Sometimes I put in a layer of the mozzarella in the middle. Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms or soy fake meat. The real secret is the more sauce and cheese, the better.
- Cover the bottom of a rectangle pan with sauce (just enough to cover.) I use the large deep foil pan. It is best to use a pan deep enough to leave room at the top, so that foil doesn't touch the lasagne and get stuck on the cheese.
- Put a layer of lasagna noodles (uncooked)--kind of overlap them. I usually overlap 4 to fit across the pan.
- Now put a layer of ricotta cheese. Spread thinly across the noodles.
- Pour on sauce.
- Then spinach and more sauce.
- Repeat: Noodles, ricotta, sauce, spinach, sauce. Noodles, ricotta, sauce, spinach, sauce.
- End with noodles.
- Pour sauce over.
- Then really end with grated mozzarella.
- Cover pan tightly with foil, put in oven at 350 degrees and cook about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve with a salad and some french bread (whole wheat is best!) and you have a great meal.
This is excellent with FRESH spinach! I added some red onion and baby bella mushrooms that I sauteed a few minutes beforehand to get the liquid out. Love it!
I was looking for a recipe that I could use fresh spinach and jarred pasta sauce in since that's what I had on hand. I'll admit, I was really leery of not cooking the noodles first, but they turned out beautifully!! I used a 9x13 pan and apparently it wasn't as deep as the one you use because I could not fit all 10 oz of spinach in it. It was probably only half the bag. Also, I only got three layers of noodles with 3 in each layer from my 8 oz box of pasta. Despite these amount differences, it cooked up well and was very good. If you use the non-stick foil, there is no problem with it sticking to the cheese. :) I served it with Homemade French Bread (abm) and Parmesan and Garlic Dipping Oil for a restaurant quality Italian meal.