Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love spinach. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 bunches spinach, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese or 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water until tender- Drain and set aside.
- Place spinach in steamer over medium heat and cook about 2 minutes- Drain well and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil.
- Sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, honey, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lay 4 noodles on bottom of non-stick sprayed 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Layer spinach, cottage or ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese evenly over noodles.
- Top with half the sauce mixture.
- Cover with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until lasagna is heated through and the cheeses are melted.
Very good - my husband and 1 year old loved it, as did I. It was a tad too sweet for me - maybe a little added sea salt would solve that. Will make again.