Recipe by Donna Matthews
This is a fairly standard vegetarian lasagna, but it is the one our family has grown used to over the years. It is very colorful with the green noodles, red tomato sauce and the white cheese layers.
Red sauce layer
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1⁄2 lb spinach lasagna noodles
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw frozen spinach and drain.
- Sautee onions in a little oil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients of red sauce and mix together.
- Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for white layer together.
- Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles per package directions.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, layer some red sauce, noodles, white sauce, cheeses, vegetables, .
- Repeat layering until all ingredients are used up.
- I like to plan my ingredients so I can end up with a layer of noodles topped with mozerella and a generous amount of parmesan.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve with toasty garlic bread and you have a complete meal.