Recipe by echo echo
A curry-flavored dish that can be mild or hot depending on the type of curry powder you use. Ground lamb can be substituted for the cubed lamb. I think this dish is better made with white rice, but if you really prefer brown, you can use that.
Top Review by ellie_
We really enjoyed this dish with a simple salad. Delish! I used cubed lamb and also since I didn't have any ground ginger, I used some minced ginger root which worked out fine. Thanks for sharing!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 lbs lean boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- banana, slices, sprinkled with (optional)
- lemon juice (optional)
- fresh tomato, seeded and chopped (optional)
- green pepper, chopped (optional)
- toasted coconut (optional) or toasted sliced almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a casserole with nonstick spray.
- Mix spinach with ginger and 1/4 tsp salt and spread in the bottom of the casserole.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in curry powder, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add onion and saute until soft.
- Turn heat to medium low, stir in sherry and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix in the rice and 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste) and spread rice mixture over spinach layer in casserole.
- Spray skillet with nonstick spray and brown lamb cubes on all sides; sprinkle with salt, cinnamon and cardamom and spread over rice layer in casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350F 30 minutes.
- Serve hot; place each condiment in a small dish to pass separately.