Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of our favorites! I love the combination of the crispy puff pastry crust and the delicious spinach and cheese filling. This recipe works well with mushrooms too.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F Line 9x13 inch casserole with puff pastry, stretching pastry half way up sides of casserole dish Prick puff pastry in several places with fork Bake at 400 F for approximately 12 minutes, until golden brown If pastry has puffed up, compress pastry Sprinkle half the cheese over puff pastry Spread spinach evenly over cheese Sprinkle remaining cheese over spinach.
- In small bowl mix eggs, milk, garlic powder, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper Pour egg mixture over casserole Top casserole with lattice of puff pastry strips Bake casserole for additional 20-25 minutes, until lattice is golden brown.
Really easy, really yummy, really fattening! Who cares, this is a "so-worth-it" diet buster. I made this as part of the November 2003 Make a Chef weekend, and consider this one of my best choices!
Golly this was good - the first meal in ages that my kids have not complained and sooo easy for me too as I had all the ingredients on hand. It was beautiful and so tasty. I have half left over from my family of 5 - it's rich - which I'll freeze and bake again some other day, as this looks like it will reheat well (not in the micro though!)... Might try some onions in there as well - this might be good with broccoli and ham - I love the whole idea. Also I had extra puff pastry left over from the lattice, and I ended up putting cinnamon sugar on the strips and twisting it up and baking it. Was a delish dessert. Might even make that on its own for desserts for a party or something - maybe with honey drizzled over too.... hmmm.... Anyway thanks for saving dinner at my house tonight. YUM! Update: This is now a staple at my house - with all three of my kids saying this is their FAVORITE MEAL EVER. They request it over and over and it's easy to make so I oblige! Who would think a bunch of triplet first graders would think a spinach dish is their favorite meal? Thank you CardaMom!
Excellent. Looks beautiful when finished baking. Served to my parents, who loved this! Thanks for posting!