Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Puff pastry makes any filling elegant. This is a delicious lunch but also makes a great dinner for a guest who's vegetarian. Source: Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 extra large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted overnight int he refrigerator
- 1 extra large egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Saute onions in butter over medium low heat for 5 to 7 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl.
- Add the onion mixture, scallions, Gruyere, Parmesan, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and pinenuts.
- Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry and place it on the paper.
- Spread the spinach mixture in the middle of the pastry, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Brush the border with the egg wash.
- Roll out the second piece of puff pastry on a floured board until it's an inch larger in each direction.
- Place the second sheet of pastry over the spinach and seal the edges, crimping them with a fork.
- Brush the top with egg wash, but don't let it drip down the sides or the pastry won't rise.
- Make three smallslits in the pastry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the pastry is lightly browned.
- Transfer to a cutting board and serve hot!
This is fantastic. I baked it for 45 minutes and used toasted walnuts instead of pine nuts. I got about 9 servings out of it. Thanks.
yum! i like sesame seeds instead of pine nuts. not sure what culture this is from though.
Made this yesterday for first timne. Easy to follow instructions and excellent results. Family loved it and I will make it again and again.