Recipe by MamaHelen
This is my version of something I had in Tanzania. It is very easy to cook but amazingly tasty! If you like it and prefer a creamier sauce you can add 1/4 block of creamed coconut to the water. If you like your meat you can add pieces of chicken or pork when frying up the onions.
Top Review by zaksdad
i used frozen, chopped spinach and found, for my taste, the final product was not peanuty enough for me...i ended up tripling the amount of peanut butter...the resulting amalgamation was like creamed spinach in appearance and texture and peanuty in taste...and it was delicious.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 180 ml water
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 lbs spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (or more if you prefer a more spicy dish)
- 2 teaspoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- brown off the onions in oil in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- add the water and peanut butter on a low heat, stir until dissolved and simmer for a few minutes.
- add salt, honey, chilli pepper and tomatoes, stir together.
- add the spinach on top and put a lid on, leave for approx 5 minute.
- stir everything together, cook a further 5 minute.
- serve with rice.