Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a lovely supper dish. A delicious way to serve spinach and great for vegetarians! Very easy to put together.
Top Review by Stinkerbell
I confess I boobed when I made this and put a top crust on it, haha, but it turned out anyways, very delicious. I sprinkled the cheese on top of the top crust and everyone loved it. It's a tasty way to get spinach into people. My brother in law said he hated spinach but ended up eating two pieces and was looking for more!
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 450 g fresh spinach, washed.
- 300 g shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 100 g gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f.
- Heat oil in a small pan and cook onion for 4 minutes till soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the spinach in a large pan with only the water that clings to the leaves.
- Heat gently until wilted, cool, then squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Roll out pastry or use frozen slices, cut into desired shape and spread pesto sauce on the pastry.
- In a bowl put grated cheese (reserving 1 tablespoons for topping,) onion, egg, salt and pepper and spinach and mix.
- Place in the centre of the pastry and pinch or fold up around the edges and sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.