Recipe by Sackville
Here's a way to get even the pickiest eater to enjoy their greens. The creamy sauce and crusty topping are impossible to resist.
Top Review by Joan McKay
This is an easy recipe to make if the white sauce is made in the microwave. I also added about 1/2 cup of mixed white cheses. We liked the creamy texture and the tast was very good.
- 500 g spinach
- 40 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 300 ml milk
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 eggs
- 40 g fresh breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Put the spinach into a large pan of salted water and boil just until wilted.
- Drain, splash with cold water and spread out in a colander to drain and cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, make a thick white sauce by melting 25g of the butter in a pan.
- Stir in the flour and then add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps as the milk comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, season generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and leave to simmer gently for five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the creme fraiche.
- Add the eggs, beating one at a time.
- Once the spinach is cool, squeeze it to remove as much water as possible.
- Chop it a few times and stir it into the sauce.
- Tip the mixture into a baking dish.
- Smooth the surface and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Dot with the remaining butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until puffed and risen and the top has an even crust.
- Serve immediately.