Recipe by Gay Gilmore
This is great because it can be made up completely ahead and just bake it for 20 minutes for a terrific side dish.
Top Review by Kozmic Blues
This dish saved me this Easter. I had to bring side dishes, but they ALL had to be made in advance! This worked out great. It's so hard to find a veggie side dish that can be prepared in advance, and still taste great, and no seem overcooked when re-heated. Good measurements on the salt. 1 TBSP seems like alot, but with the amount of spinach in the full recipe, it definitely needs all of it!!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 5 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Melt the butter in sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté about 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and cook stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach.
- Add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, mix well.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and gruyere on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.