Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is great because it can be made up completely ahead and just bake it for 20 minutes for a terrific side dish.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Melt the butter in sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté about 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and cook stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach.
- Add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, mix well.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and gruyere on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
This dish saved me this Easter. I had to bring side dishes, but they ALL had to be made in advance! This worked out great. It's so hard to find a veggie side dish that can be prepared in advance, and still taste great, and no seem overcooked when re-heated. Good measurements on the salt. 1 TBSP seems like alot, but with the amount of spinach in the full recipe, it definitely needs all of it!!
I'm so happy I found this recipe! It's perfect for this Somersizer, as long as I leave out the flour. This freezes wonderfully, so I always have a portion waiting for me to take to the office for lunch.
I cut the recipe in half, as I only needed 4 servings. It was wonderful! Easy to prepare, and good flavor. Definitely will be making this again, but think I will make a few subs to try to cut the fat a bit.