Spinach Gnocchi With Garlic and Walnuts
- Put potatoes into large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain. Cool slightly, peel and mash in a large bowl. Add egg, salt, cheese, spinach and basil. Mix thoroughly. Gradually work flour into potato mixture. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Line baking sheet with wax paper and lightly flour. Break off small pieces of dough and roll into balls about 3/4 inch in diameter. Place in a single layer on prepared pan. Continue until all dough is formed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add walnuts, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- When water boils, add salt then working in batches, drop gnocchi into water. Cook 10 seconds after dumplings rise to surface, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove with slotted spoon and divide among 8 serving bowls. Reheat olive oil mixture, then spoon over gnocchi. Serve warm.