Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Vegetarian Times. I'll use ready-made gnocchi from Trader Joes when I make this.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cooked spinach, squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 1⁄4 cups white whole wheat flour or 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
garlic and walnut topping
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put potatoes into large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain. Cool slightly, peel and mash in a large bowl. Add egg, salt, cheese, spinach and basil. Mix thoroughly. Gradually work flour into potato mixture. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Line baking sheet with wax paper and lightly flour. Break off small pieces of dough and roll into balls about 3/4 inch in diameter. Place in a single layer on prepared pan. Continue until all dough is formed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add walnuts, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- When water boils, add salt then working in batches, drop gnocchi into water. Cook 10 seconds after dumplings rise to surface, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove with slotted spoon and divide among 8 serving bowls. Reheat olive oil mixture, then spoon over gnocchi. Serve warm.