Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tasty way to get in that spinach! From Taste of Home. Tastes like a soup you would get from a deli.
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, bring spinach, broth and carrots to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in buter until onion is soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add flour; cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minues.
- Add to spinach mixture.
- Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until finely chopped.
- Place in a large saucepan.
- Add cream, milk, pepper and nutmeg; heat through but do not boil.