Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is to use up the garlic scapes I received in my CSA basket. "Garlic scapes (also known as garlic tops, garlic shoots, green garlic, spring baby garlic, garlic spears, early garlic greens, or garlic “flowers”) are the curly tipped, extremely tasty green shoots that grow from “heads” of hardneck garlic. " From Plan B Orgarnic Farms.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained or
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 8 garlic scapes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients except oil to a food processor.
- Begin to process and slowly drizzle in oil until smooth.
Absolutely divine and garlicky - i cooked fresh spinach for the 10 oz frozen, used the 3 cups fresh spinach 5 mns from the garden and instead of parmesan cheese we used asiago. Such a brilliant green color and tasty. We put 1/2 cup into snack bags to freeze flat then put them all 7 bags into a large freezer bag clearly labelled as there will be many more bags of various pestos! This is my first spinach pesto and my first year learning all about garlic scapes which I plan to grow in my own garden next year