1 hr 30 mins
Girl from India's Note:
From a Reader's Digest Eat Better Live Better Healthy eating Cookbook (My mum has a cupboard full of RD cookbooks and I love to go through them over and over again sometimes only to look at the pictures). Use fresh and young spinach for this wondeful recipe. Now that I have bought a pie dish I tried this recipe out for a family get together. Superb!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Base: Take the flour and salt in a bowl.
- 2Rub in all the butter till the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- 3Sprinkle around 2 tblps of cold water to form a firm dough.
- 4Knead until smooth and roll out on a floured board and use to line an 8 inch tin or pie dish.
- 5Bake open in a preheated oven for 15 mins at 190C or till light brown.
- 6(the recipe calls for it to be lined with greaseproof paper and filled with baking beans. Not sure what these are so did not do this. It calls for 15 mins of baking. Then the beans have to be removed and the base has to bake for 5 mins more to dry out) Wash the spinach and cook with just the water that stays on the leaves after washing then for about 8 mins.
- 7Drain and chop coarsely.
- 8Reserve few 4-5 rings of the pepper for garnish and chop the remaining afer deseeding and cook for around 5 mins in some boiling water.
- 9Beat the eggs and milk (you can use semi-skimmed milk), then add the chopped onions, spinach, pepper, nutmeg and seasonings.
- 10Spoon the filling into the flan and cook in the oven (Preheated to 190C again) for 40 mins, or until set.
- 11Garnish with the pepper slices.
- 12Can be had hot or cold.
- 13But not in the pot nine days old!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Flan
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.4
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 208.4 mg
- Sodium 286.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
wholemeal self-rising flour