Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From a Reader's Digest Eat Better Live Better Healthy eating Cookbook (My mum has a cupboard full of RD cookbooks and I love to go through them over and over again sometimes only to look at the pictures). Use fresh and young spinach for this wondeful recipe. Now that I have bought a pie dish I tried this recipe out for a family get together. Superb!
- 175 g wholemeal self-rising flour
- 75 g butter
- 450 g fresh and baby spinach leaves
- 1 red peppers or 1 yellow pepper
- 3 eggs
- 285 ml milk
- 5 spring onions, chopped fine
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Base: Take the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Rub in all the butter till the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle around 2 tblps of cold water to form a firm dough.
- Knead until smooth and roll out on a floured board and use to line an 8 inch tin or pie dish.
- Bake open in a preheated oven for 15 mins at 190C or till light brown.
- (the recipe calls for it to be lined with greaseproof paper and filled with baking beans. Not sure what these are so did not do this. It calls for 15 mins of baking. Then the beans have to be removed and the base has to bake for 5 mins more to dry out) Wash the spinach and cook with just the water that stays on the leaves after washing then for about 8 mins.
- Drain and chop coarsely.
- Reserve few 4-5 rings of the pepper for garnish and chop the remaining afer deseeding and cook for around 5 mins in some boiling water.
- Beat the eggs and milk (you can use semi-skimmed milk), then add the chopped onions, spinach, pepper, nutmeg and seasonings.
- Spoon the filling into the flan and cook in the oven (Preheated to 190C again) for 40 mins, or until set.
- Garnish with the pepper slices.
- Can be had hot or cold.
- But not in the pot nine days old!
DELICIOUS, This is do good and easy to make. DH loved it,He said it deserves for than 5 stars. He also said I've been eating for 75 years and I know when something is really good.I followed the recipe using Gold Metal self-rising flour. I didn't use peppers,a personal thing. Also used a 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder,1/2 teaspoon sea salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper.Thank you Fay for a delicious recipe. Barb
This was delicious! But I must confess that I was pressed for time so I simplified things by using a pre-made pastry shell. Otherwise, I followed the instructions verbatim - used a red/yellow pepper combo, 1% milk, sea salt & freshly ground pepper. Thanx Fay!