Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From Ghillie Basan's "Classic Turkish Cooking." You can roll freshly made wraps in foil and keep warm for at least 30 minutes. The flatbreads can be folded over a filling and baked, like a quesadilla. Another option: cook a bigger batch of flatbreads without filling them, piling them on a large sheet of foil and wrapping them to reheat later for serving instead of pita with dips.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb unbleached bread flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- unbleached flour, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 lb fresh spinach, rinsed and patted dry and chopped
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 3 tablespoons pecorino cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil or 1/2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1PREPARE FLATBREAD DOUGH:.
- 2Sift the bread flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Form a well in the center and pour in 1 tablespoon of the oil or melted butter and 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Work the flour into the liquid and form a dough.
- 3Knead the dough, sprinkling on a bit more flour if necessary, until it is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- 4Divide the dough in four, roll each piece into a ball, place on a lightly floured work surface and cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rest 20 minutes.
- 5PREPARE SPINACH FILLING:.
- 6Meanwhile, pulverize garlic with a few generous pinches of salt.
- 7Melt butter in a skillet with a cover, add onion and crushed garlic, and cook over medium heat until softened.
- 8Add spinach, nutmeg and chili flakes. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- 9Stir in the flour, then the milk, and cook, stirring, until smooth.
- 10Beat in cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 11COOK FLATBREADS:.
- 12Cut 4 8-inch squares of foil or parchment paper. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and wipe it with oil or melted butter.
- 13Roll balls of dough on a floured surface into thin rounds 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Place one round on griddle, shift it to be sure it is not sticking, and cook about a minute, until it starts to bubble and brown on the underside. Brush top with 1/4 teaspoon oil or butter, then flip it over.
- 14Spread one-fourth of the spinach filling on the cooked side. Allow bottom to cook about 45 seconds, until lightly browned. Lift flatbread onto a square of foil or paper, roll into a cone and wrap it up.
- 15Repeat with remaining dough and filling, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach-Filled Anatolian Flatbread or Wrap
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.4
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 530.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 8.2 g