Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Caramelized onions and fettuccinin with flavors of lemon and thyme, this dish is very healthy and simple to make.
- 1 lb spinach fettuccine, cooked (use fresh)
- 6 large white pearl onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel (or zest)
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped (use fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- Melt butter and oil in a large saute pan and add onions. Cook covered over gentle heat for 40 minutes to one hour, until the onions are a deep golden brown, adding stock as needed to prevent the onions from burning.
- Stir in the lemon peel and fresh thyme. Toss in with the pasta.
- TIP TO PEELING PEARL ONIONS: Add make an x in the bottom of each pearl onion, place in a bowl add 1/3 of a cup of water and cover. Microwave for 12 minutes. After they have cooled, you can peel them easily.
Very easy recipe and quite light, but I was disappointed with the lack of flavor. To be fair, I used packaged spinach pasta because the store I shopped at didn't have fresh spinach fettuccini. The lemon and fresh thyme was a nice combination, and I added a clove of garlic to the onion and ground some sea salt on the tossed pasta, but IMO it wasn't enough. I don't think I'll make this again, but if I did I wouldn't cook the onion nearly as long and I'd probably use even more thyme.
Wow, BF and I raved about this. Very simple but sophisticated. I love the thyme/lemon combination and the sweetness of the caramelized onions complemented it. I used a combination of fresh spinach and fresh plain pasta, used a sweet white and red onion instead of the pearl onions (hard to find this time of year, so I can't add comments regarding peeling pearl onions). I added lemon juice in addition to the peel and a bit more fresh thyme. Even though I didn't need the vegetable stock I added it at the end. I urge you to do this too as it added to the sauce. Into my keepers cookbook, most definitely. It's also a breeze to make. You have to try this! It's so great!!! Thanks 2Bleu!