Recipe by 2Bleu
Caramelized onions and fettuccinin with flavors of lemon and thyme, this dish is very healthy and simple to make.
Top Review by Jubes
Very easy recipe and quite light, but I was disappointed with the lack of flavor. To be fair, I used packaged spinach pasta because the store I shopped at didn't have fresh spinach fettuccini. The lemon and fresh thyme was a nice combination, and I added a clove of garlic to the onion and ground some sea salt on the tossed pasta, but IMO it wasn't enough. I don't think I'll make this again, but if I did I wouldn't cook the onion nearly as long and I'd probably use even more thyme.
- 1 lb spinach fettuccine, cooked (use fresh)
- 6 large white pearl onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel (or zest)
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped (use fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and oil in a large saute pan and add onions. Cook covered over gentle heat for 40 minutes to one hour, until the onions are a deep golden brown, adding stock as needed to prevent the onions from burning.
- Stir in the lemon peel and fresh thyme. Toss in with the pasta.
- TIP TO PEELING PEARL ONIONS: Add make an x in the bottom of each pearl onion, place in a bowl add 1/3 of a cup of water and cover. Microwave for 12 minutes. After they have cooled, you can peel them easily.