Recipe by Manami
This recipe is an all-in-one! It has the pasta and the protein (with other odds and ends to make it make it delish.) We served this with my recipe of String/ Green Beans With Shallots and an artichoke hearts salad with an olive oil & vinegar dressing and a crusty rustic Italian bread to sop up the sauce.
- 2 3⁄4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced (4-inch slices)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 lb sliced button mushroom
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (for that extra zing)
- 1 lb canned tomato sauce or 1 lb canned whole tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 3⁄4 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 lb spinach fettuccine
- 2 3⁄4 tablespoons slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, crushed red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, about 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in tomatoes, cheese, basil, and sugar or splenda, and bring to a boil.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper, if needed.
- Add cream and reheat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water 8-10 minutes, or until al dente.
- Serve pasta with creamy chicken, sprinkled with almonds.
- Serve with Zinfandel, White Zinfandel or Pinot Noir.