Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are *so* good! I also like to crumble some feta cheese onto the top right after baking but that is optional, although it is not necessary I like to boil the spinach in the microwave for about 5 minutes, this will mellow out the flavor, this can be done up to a day ahead, also you may pre-bake the caps up to a day ahead also :)
- 12 mushroom caps (use very large caps)
- olive oil
- coarse black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 3⁄4-1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion (or use green onions)
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (toasted is better to use)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the mushroom caps onto a baking sheet stem-side down.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes or long enough to release their moisture and dry out.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F.
- Turn the caps stem-side up then brush each cap with olive oil.
- Season each cap with coarse black pepper and a little salt.
- Place the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a little water; microwave on high allowing the water to boil with the spinach for about 5 minutes (this will release and mellow out the strong flavor in the spinach).
- Drain in a strainer and cool the spinach (I just run cold water over to cool faster).
- Hand-squeeze out ALL the moisture in the cooled spinach then place into a bowl.
- Add in feta cheese, onion, garlic, chopped fresh parsley and chopped walnuts; mix to combine well.
- Season with fresh coarse black pepper.
- Divide the mixture between the caps.
- Bake (350 degree F) uncovered for about 15 minutes.
Lovely! I made this for Christmas 2010. The recipe directions are really good. I added some minced bacon bits to the mix and had to use dried parsley. I would suggest using a rubber glove when stuffing the 'shrooms...my hands smelled like garlic for days! :) Thanks for the great recipe.