Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Hands down, this is the best quiche I've ever tasted! The family that I cook for call it "KizziQuiche"... from Allrecipies.com. I've tried it using low-fat ingredients also, with great success!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
- 6 ounces feta cheese with dried basil and tomato, crumbled
- 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 frozen deep dish pie shell, slightly thawed
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter, app. 5 minuets or until just soft. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 6 oz. cheddar, the feta cheese, mushrooms, and spinach. Mix well; place into pie crust.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over spinach mixture, poking holes to allow the egg mixture to seep inches.
- Bake 15 minutes. Top with remaining 6 oz. cheddar, continue baking 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Delicious: I love spinach and feta and all the other ingredients in this so this recipe was very much my sort of recipe! The only changes I made were to add a handful of baby spinach leaves to the frozen/thawed spinach (for me, there can never be too much spinach in a recipe!), and I used 3 teapoons of garlic ( as for me there can never be too much garlic either!) and the rice crust from my Leek and Spinach Tart With Rice Crust. Rather than jarred mushrooms, I used fresh sliced mushrooms which I added to the pan in step 2, as I wanted to be sure that they'd released their moisture. I used fresh as I trust them more than some of the canned and bottled mushrooms around. With mushrooms in the recipe, I also just had to add some thyme. My feta had no herbs in it so I added fresh basil. I added the mushrooms, onion and garlic in step 3. Totally yummy quiche, both warm and at room temperature. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Kizzikate. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
I loved this Quiche. The feta with dried basil and tomato made this dish IMHO. Went together quick. I think you could decrease the butter a lot and still have a nice quiche. Except for the homemade crust, made as directed. thanks for sharing.
This is a good quiche. My husband who usually is a meat eater loved it which speaks a lot! I used a table spoon of olive oil instead of 1/2 cup of butter and it turned out well. The quiche is not too "eggy" and full of spinach. It might be on the cheesy side with the cheese topping though. I used the Quick and Easy dough recipe which was perfect for this quiche.