I developed this recipe after having something similar at an Italian restaurant. My husband loves it! The pine nuts really add a special element of flavor. Adjust the amount of feta cheese to your own tastes; I happen to like a lot in this dish.
- Cook penne pasta according to package directions.
- As pasta is cooking, toast pine nuts lightly in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently and keeping a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Remove pine nuts from heat when lightly browned, after about 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside pine nuts.
- Drain cooked pasta and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet or wok.
- Add garlic and saute over medium heat for about 30 seconds, being careful not to let garlic brown.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Stir in feta and Parmesan cheese and cook for a 2-3 minutes, until feta cheese just starts to melt and pasta and cheese is thoroughly heated through.
- Stir in spinach and continue to heat until spinach barely starts to wilt.
- Take pasta off heat and stir in the toasted pine nuts.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve.