1/2 Photos of Spinach Feta Bread (A B M)
3 hrs 15 mins
This is a hearty, flavorful bread, good enough to eat as a quick snack on it's own. I love hunks of this as a side dish to soups and stews. I used to knead the feta and spinach in by hand after the dough cyle was complete, but this method is a lot easier, and everything gets much more well integrated. [Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand - Beatrice Ojakangas]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup water (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1Add the dough ingredients to your bread machine pan in the order listed.
- 2Set your machine for a 1 lb dough cycle. If your machine has an extras setting, select it.
- 3Toss the cubed feta with the whole wheat flour. Add to the extras dispenser if your bread machine has one, if not, just set it aside. (It doesn't all fit into the dispenser, so add what will fit, and either mound the rest on top, or set it aside.).
- 4You have to pay attention to your machine. If it has the extras setting (on my machine, it's 20 minutes into the cycle), when you hear it dispense the cheese, open the lid and add the shredded spinach. If you don't have an extra setting, open the lid and add the spinach and the cheese 20 minutes into the cycle.
- 5Once the cycle is complete, remove the dough from the machine, form it into a tight ball, cover it with bread machine pan, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 7Shape the dough into a fat, round loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 8Brush the top of the loaf with the optional beaten egg. (It gives the finished loaf a nice shiny glaze.).
- 9Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 10Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Feta Bread (A B M)
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.4
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 31.8 mg
- Sodium 260.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.5 g