Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a hearty, flavorful bread, good enough to eat as a quick snack on it's own. I love hunks of this as a side dish to soups and stews. I used to knead the feta and spinach in by hand after the dough cyle was complete, but this method is a lot easier, and everything gets much more well integrated. [Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand - Beatrice Ojakangas]
- 2⁄3 cup water (at room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup fresh spinach, shredded
- 1 teaspoon whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Add the dough ingredients to your bread machine pan in the order listed.
- Set your machine for a 1 lb dough cycle. If your machine has an extras setting, select it.
- Toss the cubed feta with the whole wheat flour. Add to the extras dispenser if your bread machine has one, if not, just set it aside. (It doesn't all fit into the dispenser, so add what will fit, and either mound the rest on top, or set it aside.).
- You have to pay attention to your machine. If it has the extras setting (on my machine, it's 20 minutes into the cycle), when you hear it dispense the cheese, open the lid and add the shredded spinach. If you don't have an extra setting, open the lid and add the spinach and the cheese 20 minutes into the cycle.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove the dough from the machine, form it into a tight ball, cover it with bread machine pan, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Shape the dough into a fat, round loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush the top of the loaf with the optional beaten egg. (It gives the finished loaf a nice shiny glaze.).
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack.
What a GREAT bread! I served it with chicken feta soup. Chicken Feta Soup
This bread is outstanding. I prepared it as directed in my bread machine. I used fresh spinach, 4 oz of feta and brushed the loaf with the beaten egg. Served it tonight with beef stew. This is really good. Thanks for a great recipe.