Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
I can just see those popeye muscles bulging if you have this as your regular veggie (and of course do a bit of exercise!)
- 1 lb spinach, washed and shredded
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (use skim or 2% if you wish)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Stir fry the spinach in half the butter until it is just limp, drain and keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to saucepan and the flour, stir until smooth, keep stirring& add the milk, add garlic and cook until it thickens about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Place in ovenproof casserole, sprinkle with cheese and brown under the broiler 8-10 minutes.
This recipe was well appreciated and very easy to make. We allways enjoy spinach and prepared that way ,it was a real treat. I fallowed the exact recipe but added a dash of nutmeg . Thanks Bergy
Popeye and Bergy certainly know what they are talking about, this spinach rocks! I didn't change a thing! It was so quick and easy to make, I can see myself making this as a quick meal anytime. The kids weren't too crazy about the strong taste of the Parmesan, I think next time I'll try a mix of Parmesan and Mozzerella. Great one, Bergy!
This is a really good recipe. Last minute sauteed spinach is great but not always practical. This is a wonderful tasting fresh spinach dish that can be prepared in advance and put in the oven for the finale. I would change nothing...