1/2 Photos of Spinach Enchiladas - Low-Fat
Some time ago there was a post in the Tex-Mex/Mexican Food Forum asking if it was possible to find reduced fat recipes. This recipe is proof positive that it can be done. I have not tried this yet but will soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 (8 inch) corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 dash salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large skillet combine spinach, mushrooms, onions, beans, 2 teaspoons chili powder and red pepper flakes over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- 3Combine tomato sauce, water, remaining 1 teaspoons Chili powder, cumin and pepper sauce in a pie pan. Stir well. Dip tortillas into tomato sauce mixture and stack on wax paper.
- 4Divide spinach filling into 8 portions. Spoon onto centers of tortillas. Roll up and place tortillas in a baking dish. (You want the enchiladas to nestle together.).
- 5Spread remaining tomato mixture over enchiladas. Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove foil and spread cheese on top of enchiladas, returning them to the oven another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and gooey.
- 7Microwave option: After preparing enchiladas (step 4), cover dish with vented plastic wrap. Microwave at medium for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Microwave at Medium for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Enchiladas - Low-Fat
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.0
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.9 mg
- Sodium 397.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 26.1 g