1/2 Photos of Spinach Empanadas
These take a little time to make but they are SOO delicious! They freeze very well and can be made ahead and reheated. I don't remember where I got this recipe but it is definitely requested a lot! Prep time does not include time for dough to chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1For pastry: In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- 2Gradually beat in flour and salt.
- 3The mixture will be very thick.
- 4Knead by hand.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours.
- 6For filling: In a medium skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the reserved bacon drippings for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender but not brown.
- 7Stir in the crumbled bacon, spinach, cottage cheese, pepper and nutmeg.
- 8Let filling cool.
- 9Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 10On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- 11Using a 3 inch cutter, cut out as many pastry circles as possible.
- 12Place 1 tsp filling on one half of each pastry circle.
- 13Moisten the edges of the circle with beaten egg mixed with a little water (eggwash) and fold the other half over the filling.
- 14Place on an ungreased baking sheet and seal the edges of the pastry with a fork.
- 15Brush tops with the egg and prick a small vent in each.
- 16Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- 17Serve warm with salsa for dipping.
- 18To freeze: After baking, allow to cool. Freeze on a baking sheet until firm, then transfer to a large freezer bag. Seal & label.
- 19To reheat: Reheat on a baking sheet at 450 degrees until just heated through. About 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (1588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.0
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.3 mg
- Sodium 105.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g