Recipe by Bec
An appetizer from "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988. It is everybody's favorite dip served in a bread bowl. Makes about 4 cups.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese or 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 round loaf Italian bread, uncut
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine spinach, onion, green pepper, garlic powder, yogurt, cottage cheese or cream cheese, and water chestnuts.
- Mix well and chill.
- Slice off top of bread and scoop out center.
- Cut bread from center into cubes.
- Fill center of bread with dip and surround with bread cubes and unsalted crackers.