Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my favorite salad. This is easy to put together and it is always adored by everyone. I could make a meal out of this salad alone. Another great recipe from my mother-in-law!
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed and torn
- 1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup salad oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- Mix dressing ingredients together in jar (be sure to mix very thoroughly and if making ahead, mix thoroughly again before serving).
- Place all salad ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss together.
- Toss in salad dressing just before serving.
- Note: The spinach tends to wilt quickly in the dressing so it is very important not to add the dressing until you are ready to serve.
Made for Sunday lunch yesterday, I also used fresh sprouts and only one can of water chestnuts. I actually bought mandarin segments to add and at the last minute decided not to, a wise decision because the salad dressing is unusual and very rich, it really does make the salad. I actually had DS put the salad and dressing together as I finished off other things, as per your note, we kept the dressing separate, and the guests commented that the dressing would go beautifully with meats, etc as well, they thought it was more of a smooth chutney than a dressing! Thank you for an unusual and well-received salad that I'll definitely make again!
awesome, thanks for a great salad! i made mine with silverbeet which doesnt seem to wilt as quickly, also used sliced celery instead of water chestnuts, and crunchy fried cheese. also added some sunflower seeds. it tasted so green and yummy! you just have to have dark green salad sometimes eh. the tomato in the dressing makes it really substantial, and i think the salad would complement asian dishes really well too. i added a tsp of mustard powder to the dressing which grounded the flavours nicely. thanks again - definitely making this again!
Tasty salad, even though bean sprouts and water chestnuts are not favorites of mine; but I wanted to try it as listed. The dressing is very tasty- a little bit sweet and sour. My new revelation- replace bacon with smoked sundried tomatoes! Similar flavor, less fat!