Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an unusual (and tasty) way to serve spinach. Especially good with the Sunday roast.
- 1 1⁄3 cups stale breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked drained well-squeezed chopped spinach (1 ½ lbs fresh, 3 – 10 oz packages frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Whisk eggs until foamy and add cream, oregano, nutmeg, salt, basil, crumbled rosemary and pepper.
- Saute onion in oil until soft and let cool 10 minutes.
- Add onion to egg mixture with spinach, breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Combine well.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until firm and lightly-browned.
What a good dish! The whole family liked it (our 1 year old especially!) I served it with a spinach salad topped with orange slices and crispy bacon for a light dinner. Subbed whole milk for the cream since that's what I had on hand and the result was lovely and light. Really nice recipe ---- thanks.
i used all fresh ingredients, spinach, herbs, crumbs and cheese, this was so light, like a souffle, and had great flavor too. i'm sure this would work without the breadcrumbs too, i will try it that way next time(fir the low carb dieters). evelyn, this is a keeper, thanks!