Recipe by Geema
I love these crepes with all sorts of fillings, especially salmon, but this creamy cashew one is very good, and suited for vegetarians. I use this dish as an appetizer or a main dish.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Hi Geema, we enjoyed this very much, I ran out of yogurt so I used sour cream instead which seemed to work fine, the filling from this is excellent, I did add in some salt and black pepper as well as cayenne, I plan on trying the filling with other recipes also, thank you for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and pureed
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Beat together the egg, yogurt, water and oil.
- Gradually pour it onto the flour, beating constantly.
- Stir in the spinach and season with pepper and nutmeg.
- To make the filling: heat the oil in a pan and saute the scallions until translucent.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Beat together the ricotta, yogurt, and half the Gruyere.
- Beat in the egg and stir in the parsley.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Lightly brush a small skillet with oil and heat.
- Pour in 3-4 tablespoons of the crepe batter and tilt the skillet so that it covers the base.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, until bubbles apppear int he center.
- Turn and cook the othe side for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Slide the crepe onto a warmed plate, then cover with foil and keep warm while you cook the remaining crepes.
- Spread a little of the filling over each crepe and fold in half and then half again, envelope style.
- Spoon remaining filling on top crepes.
- Grease a shallow, ovenproof dish and arrange the crepes in a single layer.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and cook in a preheated oven, 350F for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs.