Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delicious chicken recipe is stuffed with crab and spinach and topped with cheese. Serve over rice and it is special enough for company, too.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved (6 ounces each)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- hot cooked rice
- FOR THE SAUCE; in a skillet, sauté the onion, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended.
- Gradually add broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab, spinach and parsley; stir in 1/2 cup sauce.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of this mixture down the center of each chicken breast half.
- Roll up; secure with toothpicks.
- Place seam side down in a greased 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking dish.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Discard the toothpicks.
- Serve with the rice. 4 servings.
- Taste of Home.
Oh wow!! This is so good. My whole family loved this. Will definitely make this again. My whole family thanks you!!
I cut this out of taste of home some time ago, and just made for dinner tonight. It is really wonderful! I agree that it would be great for guests as well. I recommend others to give it a try!