Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I received the original recipe from a close friend's mom who makes it for every holiday dinner. I took the original and tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes by adding garlic, nutmeg, cream cheese and the variety of cheeses. By the way, the leftovers (which I can eat hot or cold) make a FANTASTIC omelet filler or pizza topping. I have had this as a side dish with duck, turkey, chicken, ham, roast beef, meat loaf and pork ribs. It seems to meld with anything and everything. For a Greek variation, add some feta cheese to the mix. This low-carb dish is also a great crock pot recipe, just mix all the ingredients together and heat on low for 8 hours.
- 3 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese or 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Mix the garlic and onions together in a microwaveable dish (I use a Pyrex measuring cup) and microwave for 2 minutes (until the onions are translucent).
- Once the onions are cooked, thoroughly mix all the ingredients together and pack it into a casserole dish.
- Dot the top with butter, sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F.
I am not a cook but was desperate to find a spinach recipe for my meager contribution to Thanksgiving dinner. First time I've ever searched on the web and it turned out fantastic. I used all full fat ingredients (I did decide against nutmeg) and it was not runny at all. It really looked pretty in the dish when done. Everyone loved it and it was more than enough for 10 people with some leftover.
This is really good because spinach is one of my favourite foods! I love all of the cheese too. My casserole didn't end up looking like the photo though! It was a bit runny and the portion isn't that big. I used low fat ingredients so maybe that's why? It works out to 5 WW pts. if you use the low fat ingredients. Made for My 3 Chefs. Thanks! :)