I received the original recipe from a close friend's mom who makes it for every holiday dinner. I took the original and tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes by adding garlic, nutmeg, cream cheese and the variety of cheeses. By the way, the leftovers (which I can eat hot or cold) make a FANTASTIC omelet filler or pizza topping. I have had this as a side dish with duck, turkey, chicken, ham, roast beef, meat loaf and pork ribs. It seems to meld with anything and everything. For a Greek variation, add some feta cheese to the mix. This low-carb dish is also a great crock pot recipe, just mix all the ingredients together and heat on low for 8 hours.
- 3 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese or 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Mix the garlic and onions together in a microwaveable dish (I use a Pyrex measuring cup) and microwave for 2 minutes (until the onions are translucent).
- Once the onions are cooked, thoroughly mix all the ingredients together and pack it into a casserole dish.
- Dot the top with butter, sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F.