Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This recipe is an adaptation of Argentine Spinach Pie from the More with Less Cookbook. The original recipe is made with swiss cheese and no corn, but I love corn and spinach together, so I added it in here. I also prefer the cheddar-jack combination for the cheese.
Top Review by flower7
This was excellent! I added about 1/4 cup more corn (had it to use) and left off the top crust, sprinkling with some breadcrumbs instead. The filling was fairly thin so I was afraid there would be too much crust vs. filling. Otherwise followed the recipe, using cheddar-jack cheese. The mix of seasonings was great and the filling/crust ratio was perfect for my taste w/ just one crust. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 double crust pie crust, unbaked
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 9-inch pie plate with crust, prick with a fork.
- Saute onion in oil till tender.
- In a large bowl, mix spinach, corn, sauteed onion, seasonings, eggs and cheese.
- Pour spinach mixture into pie shell.
- Cover with top crust and seal, poke a few holes to vent steam.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.