Recipe by Leggy Peggy
We love salads and are always looking for new ways to combine interesting ingredients. People have very personal preferences for dressings, so you can use the one noted here, or any dressing you prefer. Created for RSC #11.
Top Review by RonaNZ
I've been waiting to this Hidden Gem from RSC#11 to be reviewed. I've had this salad and variations of it four times now. First as written (couldn't taste the brandy but that didn't bother me), second with a soft boiled egg per serving, third with cottage cheese and I can't remember what I did to the last one. Love the combination of spinach and cos. Simple, tasty, filling and it's easy to have the ingredients on hand. I quite often buy the whole smoked chicken breast to have it available for making easy lunches. They keep a lot better than cut meat from the deli counter.
- 7 -8 ounces smoked chicken, in 3/8-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon brandy (optional)
- 4 ounces Baby Spinach
- 4 ounces baby romaine lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese (grated or shaved)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut in wedges (in about 6ths)
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup artichoke heart, chopped finely (no woody bits)
Dressing (or use one you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil