Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a protein-rich all-in-one-meal. Recipe is from Family Circle.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed and halved crosswise (13x9 inches)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in large skillet over high heat.
- Add onion and reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook 8 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and red pepper flakes.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in cheese, eggs and oregano.
- Place a half sheet phyllo in bottom of pan.
- Coat with cooking spray.
- Repeat with 7 more half sheets, coating each sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread spinach mixture over top.
- Repeat with remaining 8 half sheets.
- Cut top layer in 8 equal pieces.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, until top is browned.
- Recut to serve.
Yummy thanks Lainey. I scaled this back to make a little pie for the two of us although I used a whole box of spinach and 4 sheets of filo. It was so good I want it again. I used two teaspoons of lemon infused olive oil to cook off my onion and chicken-it was a good addition. I think this would be really good served with a yoghurt and mint sauce and will do that next time.
Substituted ground turkey - YUM!