Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I adopted this recipe from Recipezzar. It used to be called just Chicken Parmesan, but most other dishes with that name on here are tomato based and I wanted to make clear that this one isn't. I have also changed the amounts of some of the ingredients as I felt they just weren't quite balanced. This can easily be doubled .
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 chicken breast fillets, skinless
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, grated (more to taste)
- In a small mixing bowl combine half of the cheese and Italain seasoning.
- Roll chicken pieces in cheese mixture to coat lightly.
- ARRANGE pieces in an small baking dish.
- In a small saucepan cook onion in hot margarine till tender.
- Stir in flour; add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir till bubbly; stir in drained spinach, garlic and pimiento olives if using, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spoon spinach mixture over chicken; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or till chicken is fully cooked.
Its great - Cheesy but with subtle spinach undertones. We made it twice. Some things I would do differently: Halve the amount of Nutmeg. Reserve Half of the milk/spinach topping to mix with pasta served with this dish. Great recipe! Thanks for posting!
I made one serving of this last night for my dinner, using thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breast and soy parmesan cheese. I didn't add the nutmeg, as I chickened out and ommitted the margarine, using just a little Pam in the skillet. I know the soy parm. took a little flavor away, but all in all, this was simply devine! I can't rave enough over it! I've already printed out 2 copies of it for my aunts who love spinach as much as I do. The chicken came out so tender and juicy and the sauce tasted simply sinful! I wish I could give more stars for sure! And, just as a note, no one forget those pimientos, as they added such a nice little twist to it all. YUM! I can't wait to fix it again! Thank you, Sylvie! You added joy to eating! :D
This was pretty good. My husband who despises chicken actually wants to take the left overs for lunch tomorrow so that is really saying something! The only thing I did was reduce the nutmeg a bit, not a fan of it. And I pounded the chicken so that it was an even thickness throughout. Made Australian Cheese, Garlic and Chive Damper with it, and it went well together.