Recipe by -Sylvie-
I adopted this recipe from Recipezzar. It used to be called just Chicken Parmesan, but most other dishes with that name on here are tomato based and I wanted to make clear that this one isn't. I have also changed the amounts of some of the ingredients as I felt they just weren't quite balanced. This can easily be doubled .
Top Review by Tom in Maryland
Its great - Cheesy but with subtle spinach undertones. We made it twice. Some things I would do differently: Halve the amount of Nutmeg. Reserve Half of the milk/spinach topping to mix with pasta served with this dish. Great recipe! Thanks for posting!
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 chicken breast fillets, skinless
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, grated (more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl combine half of the cheese and Italain seasoning.
- Roll chicken pieces in cheese mixture to coat lightly.
- ARRANGE pieces in an small baking dish.
- In a small saucepan cook onion in hot margarine till tender.
- Stir in flour; add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir till bubbly; stir in drained spinach, garlic and pimiento olives if using, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spoon spinach mixture over chicken; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or till chicken is fully cooked.