A delightful chicken, spinach and cheese dish. The beauty of this dish is the simplicity! (Recipe posted by Kathy Sauers at AllRecipes.com)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl combine cheese and seasoning. Roll chicken pieces in cheese mixture to coat lightly. Set remaining cheese mixture aside. Arrange coated chicken pieces in an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, sauté green onion in butter/margarine until tender.
- Stir in flour, then add milk all at once. Simmer, stirring, until bubbly. Stir in drained spinach and pimiento and mix together.
- Spoon spinach mixture over chicken and sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender and chicken juices run clear.
I have been lax in rating and reviewing this recipe. I am here to say now, this has to be my most favorite chicken dish. I am making it tonight for about the 5th time. I also added a little garlic to the sauce.I also discovered an easy, less messy way to drain the spinach.. Poke holes in the box and squeeze and then open to remove spinach.
Thank you for posting this. I've used this recipe for years and it's delicious! For protein, I use either thinly sliced chicken breast fillets or white fish such as tilapia or orange roughy.
I tried this recipe almost exactly as written except I used fresh spinach and added a little garlic to the flour milk mixture. It was wonderful, my family raved about it.