Friends and family who would formerly never eat spinach absolutely love this quick and easy soup. Instant chicken noodle soup mix, frozen spinach, and a simplified white sauce are a dynamite combination. It can easily be made more rich by adding cream or extra eggs, thicker with additional flour, or lightened up with skim milk and omitting the egg. It's also been made with only one packet of soup and a little less flour, and you can be REALLY fancy and make a proper white sauce with butter, milk and flour if you have a lot of time. The proportions/recipe are very forgiving. The recipe originally came from a friend of my mother's in the 1980s, and we called it "Swamp Soup" when we accidentally used a package of frozen whole leaf spinach instead of the chopped variety!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare chicken noodle soup with the water according to package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, defrost the spinach in the microwave.
- 3Mix together the milk and flour (in the measuring cup is fine) until the mixture is fairly smooth.
- 4When the noodles are cooked, bring the soup back to a rolling boil and whisk in the spinach and then the milk-flour mixture.
- 5Crack the egg into the measuring cup, then whisk it into the soup as it continues to boil. Long "strings" of egg white should often form and the flour mixture will have thickened the soup. There should only be a few, if any, remaining lumps from the milk-flour mixture, but if present they will have cooked into little "dumplings" as well.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (910 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1160.9
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 213.2 mg
- Sodium 10171.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 190.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 49.0 g